Financial Aid for Graduate Study

The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry supports admitted first-year Ph.D. students with Teaching Assistantships (TA) or fellowships, or a combination. Continuing Ph.D. students are supported through Teaching Assistantships or Graduate Student Researcherships (GSR), depending on the availability of each and student academic progress.  These positions pay a salary and fees.   Some fellowships are available to highly qualified first-year and advanced students through campus-wide competition. Additionally, the Graduate Student Association offers travel grants for students presenting their research at scientific conferences.

A contract between UC and the UAW-ASE union governs the conditions of TA work and benefits (link at the bottom of this page).

TA and GSR positions are administered by the departments, fellowships and grants by the Division of Graduate Studies, and student loans by the Financial Aid Office.

U.S. citizens and permanent residents should submit a Free Application for Federation Student Aid (FAFSA) form since many UCSC fellowships and grants are only awarded on the basis of this information.

Grad student in Mascharak labNewly admitted students are nominated by the department’s faculty admissions committee for several competitive fellowships: Eugene Cota Robles Fellowships, Tuition Fellowships, Regents Fellowships, Chancellor's Fellowships.  See Graduate Division fellowships for detail about these awards.  An application is included in the online application (link); no separate application is required.

Current students who have advanced to candidacy are eligible for the Dissertation Quarter (formerly Doctoral Sabbatical Fellowship) and Dissertation Year Fellowship.  These competitions are usually announced in April for the following year.

See Also